Friday, December 17, 2010

A Christmas Angel story

Christmas is a time for giving! There are so many needy families out there that need our help during the holiday season.
I get so excited each year about helping with our angel tree at school.
My Bible Study group actually took on a family of three girls this year. I did not take pictures but a friend did and when I get them, I will post a few.
One of my friends, Katie Grisham mentioned a few months back that she wanted to help with the angel tree this year to help teach her 4 year daughter the "true meaning" of giving and Christmas. I turned in the name of a child in my class and this sweet family went overboard making it special for them this year.
The child had been sick and wasn't at school all week, so I called the family and we made arrangements to take it to their home.
We showed up and the kids were all outside in the driveway waiting on us to come. This family has twin girls in 2nd grade, a kindergartener and a third grader. It took all 4 kids, plus the mom, me,Houston, Becca, Katie and Brad to carry all the gifts into the house. The mom was very grateful and it was so exciting watching the children open the gifts.
Check out the pictures.

I think one of the favorite gifts was the DVD player. He would not put it down at all. I later found out at school today that they watched 2 of the movies after we left. They had never had a DVD player before and they were using a 13 inch TV to watch TV on.

Everyone in on the excitement
The twins helping with the uncle that also stays there
Group photo of Katie, Brad, Becca and Hayden with their Christmas angels


All the kiddos minus the 3rd grader


Me with my student



All the child asked for Christmas was a teddy bear. Becca picked him out one a Build a Bear with clothes and got him a gift card to buy more clothes. He was so excited about this bear. Also, the mom doesn't speak much english but when she saw the turkey, she said, "OHHHH TURKEY" and you could tell how happy they were.
This morning at school, my student was wearing his new Old Navy jacket from the Grishams and it still had the tags on it. haha, He had on his new shoes and his new corduroy school pants and was coloring in his new coloring book. I was so excited to see him with his new things.
There are so many of us that are so extremely blessed! Let's stop and think about the things we have this year and be thankful, because their are so many people out there that don't have near the amount of "things" we have.
Thank you Grisham family for making Christmas special for this family! Love you~








1 comment:

  1. I wish that we could help more families. It's so amazing to their joy!!

    ReplyDelete