Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Houston's awards

This is a picture of Houston and his awards for 4th six weeks in Pre-K. He got Perfect attendance and the Citizenship award for excellence in Behavior.
I am so proud of him this year. He is learning so much. I was so proud last week, when he wrote his friend Martin a letter that was invented spelling. That is what my Kindergartners started out doing.
This is what his letter said, "Mtn wll u bng m ms mv. Love Houston " It meant, "Martin, will you bring me mouse movie" Love Houston.
His teacher was so proud. Now he has a special assignment over spring break to write down the things he did all by himself. He is excited about learning and I am thrilled. I started helping him with his first name last summer and he struggled with letter "s". I have been helping and his teacher too and his "s" is just about as good as mine. haha. He has been able to write his first and last name for some time now, but I think we may begin on his middle name soon. (Franklin) What do you think Melissa?
I feel a weight lifted off my chest too. He is in a Kindergarten Boost program at school ran by an organization in Memphis. It was talked up to be great at first, but I have come to realize, it is unorganized and very inappropriate for a pre-k student. After discussing with his teacher and other teachers, I have written a letter to have him withdrawn beginning the Monday we come back from Spring Break. The "teachers" work with kids for an hour a day, where they are pulled from their pre-k setting and they have no classroom management. Houston and some of his other friends that never get in trouble have been caught doing things they never would do with their teacher. It is sad because these people let them get away with it, and now they have no control. I mean, I will look out my classroom door and they will be running in the halls. I met with the head teacher and she told me Houston was not a problem. I told her he cries every morning because he doesn't want to go to school. I also told her 1 hour is way too long to hold the attention of a 4 year old in reading. I also told her I thought he should be learning more than letter/sounds which she said he is partial proficient. Whatever, he has known every letter since he was 2 and knows all sounds currently. She basically told me he had dyslexia without saying that word. She said he is getting his blends turned around when he reads. Well woman, he is 4 years old! She said they will soon begin on sight words. What? Is she serious? He has already learned about 45-50 sight words in his class this year. I also have some safety concerns. Needless to say, she was not happy with me. Oh well, at least he will not have to go back to that class anymore. It is actually costs alot of money from Pre-K funding, but I personally feel it is not beneficial right now.
Well, I gotta get off now. I was planning on spending the entire day out shopping, but Houston talked me into staying home and playing his wii fit Plus. There are so many fun games on that one, I don't think he will ever be able to play them all. His favorite is the juggling at the circus and the obstacle course with the giant balls. Finally, I think we are gonna head out the door, just a little delay! haha

1 comment:

  1. Houston is doing so awesome this year. I'm so glad you were able to get in him in our preschool program. And, I agree, K boost is taking way too much of our funds and is completely inappropriate. I don't know how Jodi is still sane dealing with that mess.

    ReplyDelete