Friday, September 3, 2010
Kindergarten Letter Days~ HELP!
I need all you craetive teachers and your help! When I am teaching a letter of the alphabet, I try to include a fun day to help the children remember the sound of the letter. For example, when studying letter Pp, we do a pajama day. I have letters Rr and Tt coming up next week. I plan to do teddy bear day, where they bring their teddy to school and wear teddy ears on their head, but does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions of fun days when teaching letters in Kindergarten or any grade level. Any ideas on any letters would be appreciated! Thanks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


So excited to see your responses. We are doing a quick letter a day phonics program ...and then after 26 days we will do a letter a week! I hope that works! For T...teddy bear picnic (read that book) and have a picnic with your ears on. S...sports day (dress in your favorite teams colors? or your favorite sport?) I will keep thinking....maybe we can make a list after all responses are posted! Happy Labor Day Weekend!
ReplyDeleteTotally Tots website has some cute letter crafts. We have the kids wear the color that starts with that letter, we eat or make a snack related to that letter. We try to do more of a focus on animals, or insects that start with the letter. The kids love learning about the animals and insects. For A we do Ants and learn about them ALL day. We go outside and hunt for them, we do some life cycle crafts, etc. They LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteFor H we do hat day and for M we do monters and have a monster mash at the end of our unit. T, we also do a Teddy Bear picnic.
ReplyDeleteOff the top of my head...from my Kindergarten days.
ReplyDeleteA-Apple smiles
B-Teddy Bear Picnic
Dad's Day--The dads come in and we eat dounuts
E-Elephant day, they wear gray and we make elephant ears for them to wear
F-We walk to the local fudge factory, and fire station
I-Indian Day, they dress like Indians and we paint their faces
K-King day--boys make crowns
M-Mom's Muffins--The mom's come in and we have muffins and milk
P-Pirates and princess day
Q-Queen day--girls make crowns
Our series focuses on one letter each week, too. I have the "letter" send my class mail every Monday morning. I have a mailbox outside my classroom that the star of the week checks each Monday. The letter includes a book, center activity (usually science) and a goodie of some kind. I did this to try and help the children see how the letter/sound is integrated into everything we do all week long. For example, this past week was Mm. Letter M sent the letter, pictures that start with /m/, mirrors to investigate All About Me (eyes, hair, etc.), measuring tape (to check our height), and the book Chrysanthemum. I don't know if this is what you are going for, but it is loads of fun and truly sets the focus for the week.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck!
I love all these ideas!!
ReplyDelete