I am linking up with Jennifer over at Rowdy in First Grade to share 10 Things I Have Learned from Teaching.
1. We are underpaid, yet our jobs are so rewarding that it equals itself out in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE to see my students begin to read. When the light bulb turns on, it makes me feel so happy to be a teacher and it is so rewarding knowing I had a part in that.
2. I don't care what people say, I have learned a teachers work is never done. There is always something to be filed, graded, copied or organized.
3. The best gifts ever given to me are student crafted or handmade. I love all the pictures, cards and letters with invented spellings from my students over the years.
4. To never let my students use the electric pencil sharpener. They think it fun and it gives them a reason to get out of their seat and make some noise. As a matter of fact, to not let them sharpen pencils at all. I do it after school or have a special helper.
5. To have great communication skills and form or establish a good parent/teacher relationship in the beginning. That way, if there is a problem with their child, it will be easier to discuss problems that may arise with their child.
6. To be positive even with the "bad" kids. They need to someone to praise them when they do something good. In my experience, usually if a bad kid misbehaves, he is wanting attention or something is going on at home. If I praise him and reward him for doing something well, he will try harder to get that verbal praise in front of his peers.
7. To HUG my students each day. Usually right before I teach reading, many of my students will come up to me randomly and say "I love you" and give me a hug. I hug them in return and try to give them the attention they might not get at home.
8. To organize community supplies at the beginning of the year. If not, pencils will be gone by Christmas and tablets wasted. I usually have leftover pencils and paper at the end of each year organizing it this way.
9.To be and stay organized! I keep a 3 inch thick binder with lesson plans, newsletters, notes, emails and other VIP things. That way, i can flip to it when needed and don't have to search everywhere for VIP documents.
10. That Sharpies and Mr. Sketch markers were the best thing ever invented fro teachers. I can gladly say, I use them on a daily basis.
Friday, March 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I may or may not have a small addiction to sharpies! HA!
ReplyDeleteGood list! Our job is probably one of the most rewarding even thought it can be so darn frustrating at times!
That is so sweet that they want to hug you & tell you how much they love you everyday! They have a wonderful teacher!
ReplyDeleteLike your list. Just made my own....Call me a copy cat if you must!
ReplyDelete#6- So true! I am trying so hard to do this with mine. It isn't easy- but I'm getting better at it.
ReplyDeleteGreat list! :)
Mrs. Thompson
Adventures in Teaching
Love this post!! I had a substitute in my room one day for my assistant and she made the mistake of telling one of my darling 5 year olds they could go to the counter and sharpen their pencil!! Crazy of what it started!
ReplyDeleteI too use a notebook for my lesson plans! Love it! I'm your newest follower :)
ReplyDelete