Saturday, March 5, 2011

Christmas in March.....For a Teacher that is.......

What could be better than Christmas for a teacher?
A free Book Giveaway to celebrate Read Across America!!!
Yep, you heard me right.....free
Last year my friend Melissa and I went and got so many great books. This year she emailed me but was not able to go.
This is what it looked like after Tim, Houston and I unloaded our 3 enormous bags onto the kitchen table.
JUNIE B.JONES!!!!!!!!!!! Mine and Hou's fave

Of course I had to rack up on Dr. Seuss. I could not believe there were so many that I did NOT have! So excited about Yertle the Turtle

This is what Houston was on a mission for
Yay, a grown up book for me
Love these sight word books. I plan on incorporating them into reading stations and small group this week.
I love Bear Snores on, so maybe this one is just as good
Gotta love some Fancy Nancy
Also, I heard The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs this week and saw it reenacted. Super cute!
Hou Boo got some new bookmarks

And of course can't leave without a few Scooby Doo books
Sorting my Junie B. Jones books. Houston and I have already been arguing over whose is whose .

We got in last night around 1am and I googled directions to the school from the email. Houston woke up around 8 am and I immediately said, "Let's go!" Tim thought I was sleep talking until I said, "It starts in an hour, now Let's go". We all jumped up, got dressed and headed out the door. When we pulled up at around 8:50 am the parking lot only had about 15 cars. (Last year when we went, there were hundreds of cars and people lined up everywhere). It was raining and we ran in to find a very very SHORT linewaiting at the door. We were right at the doorway! I am telling you, it was like Christmas to me! Right at 9 am they opened the doors and in we went! By 9:35 I was ready to go. It lasted until 12:00, but had gotten too crowded with little kids, strollers and people pushing. I had gotten my books I was hunting for and checked with Tim and Houston to see if they were ready to go.
I had overheard one of the volunteers saying that this one lady kept grabbing handfuls of books and filling her bag. then she would make trips to her car over and over to unload. I saw one lady sitting on the stage with 5 bags full of books. Her kids were waiting beside each bag. Some people can be so greedy.
I One of the volunteers and I talked, she knew I was a kindergarten teacher and she made sure to help me find some good books for my kindergarteners. She kept calling me over to her whenever she would find something good.
When we left, the volunteers were still unloading boxes and boxes of books onto each table to choose. There is no telling how many thousands of books were donated for this giveaway, and it was such a huge variety of books to choose from.
The giveaway was so organized, they had tables set up with books for toddlers, preschoolers , and then every grade level. They even had a few tables with adult books. I am so impressed that this is organized for the community each year!
Well, just like I said, I celebrated Christmas today, the teacher way!
Happy Birthday Week Dr. Seuss!






























4 comments:

  1. That is freakin awesome!!! Where was this at??? I'm sad I missed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got so many!! Maybe it wasn't as crowded because it moved schools and people didn't know. I don't think it was very well advertised this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you got some really great books! WHERE do they do this???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next year, PLEASE let me know where this is!

    ReplyDelete